Sunday 11 June 2017

The Stolen Child By Sanjida Kay


Review by Vasundra Jackison


This is a story about a seven-year old child called Evie who is adopted at birth by a loving couple living in the beautiful setting of the Yorkshire Moors. It is also a story about Zoe, Evie’s adoptive mother. The birth mother was a drug addict and the father unknown. 



Evie is a happy child who loves her adoptive parents and her two-year old little brother. But this begins to change when she starts to wonder about her birth parents. Her mother notices that Evie has become very secretive and prone to throwing tantrums for no apparent reason.

Evie doesn’t look like anyone else in my family. Her hair is dark, her skin the colour of milky tea and her eyes are streaked green and brown.

Things become serious when Evie is found hiding secret notes and gifts.

Hello my darling. I’m your real father. I’ve been searching for you ever since you were stolen from me. I love you so much. Daddy.

Zoe is extremely worried and tries to make Evie understand that she is in danger. She cannot get through to her. Her nightmare begins when Evie disappears on the same day that her son is rushed to hospital in a critical condition.

Who has taken Evie? The police suspect everyone. With so much in the news about human trafficking, Zoe fears the worst. Unspeakable thoughts of child grooming and sexual abuse torment her.

I feel lost, adrift, with nothing to cling to. I’m literally helpless. How can I find my child? What can I do to save her?

Zoe believes that Evie has been snatched from her by the man claiming to be her real father. She is desperate to find out who he is and where he is holding Evie.

This is a very good read with lots of twists and turns to keep you reading through the night. The descriptions of the moors are particularly enjoyable with the wind and bleak landscapes adding to the suspense and feeling of foreboding that grips you. This is a psychological thriller that will keep you guessing right to the final surprising twist.


Thanks to Corvus for a review copy.

You can follow Sanjida on Twitter: @SanjidaKay

No comments: